Foodgasm in Lagos
A city is not complete, if you haven’t mentioned its food. Eating a country’s local food is a great way to know more about the country and a great a way to meet locals. In Lagos, you’re not short of places to eat or diversity of cuisine, but we have carefully selected these places specifically for best places to get authentic local and locally infused eats.
1. Farm City – Right behind this supermarket located on Admiralty in Lekki Phase 1 is an open air restaurant with an amazing ocean view. Farm City is famous for its grilled fish sautéed in Nigerian spices. Definitely a must try in Lagos.
2. L’Afric – You definitely can’t go wrong with authentic tasting local cuisine in this sophisticated space. The food here is the closest you’ll get to a home cooked Nigerian meal in a nice setting. If you’re a seafood lover, then the seafood okra here is a must try.
3. Yellow Chilis Ikeja – Also another great place to get local cuisine that feels home cooked. This restaurant has different locations in Lagos but personally we prefer the one in GRA, Ikeja. The food is more authentic and the ambience of the place is nice.
4. Bankolemo Designer Rice – Now this is as local as it gets, but it is amazing. Unless you’re truly native to Lagos, you wouldn’t know this spot. Located in Surulere on Bankolemo street, this hole in the wall restaurant has been operating for over 25 years and the quality of food is still the same. They serve only Rice, Beans and Stew here, but this is the best you’ll get to tasting the authentic traditional Yoruba spicy stew.
5. Amaladotcom – Located in Lekki Phase 1, this spot is becoming popular to lovers of the local cuisine called Amala. If you’re very interested in trying out authentic Yoruba food, this is a good spot to go and it is reasonably priced. There other good “joints” but this also tops the list.
6. Pizze-riah – There famous Suya Pizza makes this place a nice spot to grab pizza with a date or a causal business meeting. Located in Victoria Island, Pizze-riah offers a wide selection of wine and freshly baked pizza. You can opt to sit outside or indoors – the ambience is amazing.
7. Bay Lounge – Located in Lekki Phase 1, this gigantic outdoor restaurant has one of the best grilled spicy King Prawns in Lagos. While you’re out enjoying the ocean breeze from the outdoor space of Bay lounge, you should order their famous King Prawns.
8. Orchid Bistro – Located in GRA, Ikeja, this place is not your typical local Nigerian restaurant, but a great place for brunch and locally infused desserts.